The custodial death of a farmer was reported on Sunday night from the Chijarsi police chowki of Pilakhua police station of district Hapur. Three cops, including the inspector of Pilakhua police station, have been suspended and an inquiry ordered in the case.

The deceased farmer Pradeep Kumar (31) was allegedly beaten to death in the custody of the police at the Chijarsi police chowki of Hapur. The family members of the deceased farmer, along with the villagers staged a protest at the Hospital of Meerut Medical College and demanded justice for the family.

Pradeep was a resident of village Lakhan in the Pilakhua area of Hapur district. According to the village`s former Pradhan Ajit Tomar, he was picked up by the police on Sunday afternoon on some charges the cops did not elaborate while taking Pradeep along with them. Tomar alleges that he was mercilessly beaten up by the inspector of Pilakhua police station Yogesh Baliyan, Chijarsi chowki in charge Ajab Singh, and other cops. He was tortured to the extent that he lost his life. As told to the family members, the Senior Sub Inspector (SSI) admitted him to LLRM Medical College Hospital at midnight on Sunday and returned. Pradeep was declared dead by the medical college doctors.

Tomar claimed that the hospital staff told them that he was already dead when he was brought here. The family members and villagers have charged the cops of beating Pradeep to death in custody. They have demanded to arrest the three cops and registering a case against them.

Addl Director General (ADG) of Meerut Zone Prashant Kumar assured that the errant cops would not be spared. He said that the postmortem of the deceased would be performed by a panel of doctors and only after getting their report apt action would be initiated.

Meanwhile, a video that went viral on social media in which Pradeep was seen beaten up by the cops shows that there were injury marks all over his body.

In view of the tension in the area, heavy police force has been deployed in and around Lakhan village.