Schools reopen in Kashmir; teachers report to work but students stay away as Valley remains tense


Nearly 200 primary schools reopened in Srinagar. (Photo: Twitter | @yaserjilani)

Despite around 200 schools reopening in Srinagar on Monday after a gap of 15 days following the revocation of Article 370, very few students showed up as jittery parents avoided sending their children due to the prevailing situation in the Kashmir Valley.

While teachers and staff showed up in most of the schools, students did not.

According to news agency PTI, only Police Public School at Bemina and a few Kendriya Vidyalayas saw a handful of students.


Officials in Baramulla district said schools in five towns remained closed. In the rest of the district, schools were opened, they said.

“There is no relaxation in restrictions in Pattan, Palhalan, Singhpora, Baramulla and Sopore towns. Primary schools in the rest of the district are open. We are collecting details about the number of students who have reported at their respective schools,” an official said.

A senior Srinagar district official said a few schools on the periphery were opened but in the old city and in civil lines areas, they remained shut due to violence over the past two days.

“We have opened schools only in some areas after reviewing security there. We appeal to parents to send their children wherever schools have been reopened. Security is our responsibility,” Deputy Commissioner of Srinagar Shahid Iqbal was quoted as saying by NDTV.

The Jammu and Kashmir government had on Saturday said that it was looking forward to opening schools beginning with primary schools all over the Valley on Monday.

However, all government offices started functioning normally from today.

Officials have said that all telephone exchanges in Kashmir valley, barring a few vulnerable areas, have been made functional.

On Saturday, more than 50,000 landline phones were made operational after services in 17 exchanges of the Kashmir Valley were restored after a period of about 12 days, as part of gradual easing of restrictions in a phased manner.

2G mobile internet services were also restored in Jammu, Reasi, Samba, Kathua and Udhampur districts of Jammu.

However, the services were snapped again on Sunday in a bid to prevent the spread of rumours by miscreants after incidents of violence were reported.

In Srinagar city, barricades were removed from areas where the situation has remained peaceful since the Centre announced the scrapping of the special status of Jammu and Kashmir.

Jammu and Kashmir was put under virtual curfew on 5 August when the Modi government scrapped the Article 370 and split the state into two union territories.

Meanwhile, restrictions returned in certain areas of the Kashmir valley on Sunday, a few hours after relaxation, after incidents of stone-pelting at security forces were reported.

Authorities said that the restrictions will continue till reassessment of the situation.

Jammu’s Inspector General of Police Mukesh Singh had warned of strict action against anyone circulating fake messages or videos on social media.

Meanwhile, former chief ministers Mehbooba Mufti and Omar Abdullah are among 400 political leaders of the Valley who are still under detention.