The Union Home Ministry has cleared a proposal to reopen 1984 anti-Sikh riot cases against alleged involvement of Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Kamal Nath by a special investigation team. Delhi’s Shiromani Akali Dal MLA Manjinder Singh Sirsa said on Monday.

Sirsa tweeted, “A big victory for Akali Dal. SIT Opens case against @OfficeOfKNath for his alleged involvement in 1984 Sikh genocide. Notification issued by MHA upon my submission last year, Case number 601/84 to reopen and consider fresh Evidence against Kamal Nath,” he said in a tweet.

Talking to media on issue, Sirsa said that two witnesses were ready to depose against the Congress leader. “I request the people who were an eyewitness to Kamal Nath killing Sikhs to come forward and become a witness, there is no need to be scared.”

He further said, “We talked to them today, they’ve agreed to depose before SIT whenever they are called. We talked to SIT today; they said they will give us a specific date.”
Sirsa also lashed out at the Congress over continuance of Kamal Nath as Chief Minister despite his alleged involvement in the 1984 riots targeting the Sikh community.

He urged interim Congress president Sonia Gandhi to seek Nath’s resignation so that Sikhs get justice for 1984 riots an aftermath of the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.

The Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister has maintained that there were no charges against him in 1984 anti-Sikh riots. He was charged by the Nanavati Commission for his role in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, but he was absolved due to lack of evidence.

Nath, a nine-time MP from Chhindwara, was made Madhya Pradesh Congress chief in April 2018. He took over as chief minister in December last year.