Follow Us:

Nirbhaya’s parents want all convicts dead

Manmath Nayak1 |

Hours after the suicide attempt by one of the convicts in the December 16, 2012 gang-rape case, the parents of the 23-year-old victim on Thursday said they wanted to see "all of the convicts dead so that they could take a sigh of relief".

"It is good. It is a big thing that he is still alive, he should die very soon. He has to die in future, if he dies today, it would be a tribute to our daughter," said the distraught father of the paramedical student, who died of grave intestinal injuries on December 29, 2012, at Singapore’s Mount Elizabeth Hospital where she was airlifted for specialised treatment.

In a telephonic conversation, the victim’s father, in his late 50s, said "it is good for such people to die as they are dangerous for society and country".

One of the four convicts in the case, Vinay Sharma tried to commit suicide by hanging himself inside his cell in a high security ward situated in Jail No. 8 in Tihar on Wednesday night around 9.30 p.m. 

Sharma was admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) Hospital after he consumed pills and tried to hang himself from the ventilator of his cell by using a towel. Hospital authorities later said that Sharma’s condition was stable after preliminary treatment.

Asked about his reaction to Sharma’s suicide attempt, the victim’s father further said: "If he was committing suicide, he should do it. Not only he, I want see all the convicts dead so that we can take a sigh of relief."

Similar sentiments were expressed by the victim’s mother when she spoke. 

"The sin of these people (all the convicts) will not allow them to live. My daughter survived without water for 13 days. She faced extreme pain and brutality," said the victim’s mother. 

Sharma, Mukesh, Pawan, Akshay Thakur and Ram Singh, along with a juvenile, were accused of gang-raping and brutally assaulting the victim inside a moving bus in the city. The victim and her friend were thrown out of the bus after the crime.

In 2013, Ram Singh, the prime accused in the case and the driver of the bus in which the gang-rape occurred, was found dead in Tihar Jail.