The attacks on two Indian students in the Italian city of Milan are being investigated by the authorities there, a senior official said here on Friday.
“The matter is under investigation by the local authorities,” External Affairs Ministry spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said in his weekly media briefing here.
“There were two students who were attacked on two different days,” he said.
He said that the Indian Consul General has met both the students and another official from the consulate was also sent to the hospital where they were admitted.
The Indian Consulate in Milan had on Monday said that it has received reports of attacks and cautioned students to stay away from any area perceived to be of risk.
On Tuesday, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said that she had spoken to an Indian student assaulted in Milan and was told that it was not a racial attack but robbery.
Sushma Swaraj had earlier said she was personally monitoring the situation amid reports of attacks on Indian students in the Italian city.
Stating that it was case of robbery and physical assault, Kumar in Friday’s briefing said: “We have promised to extend all possible help. We have also taken it up with the local authorities in Milan.”
He added that the Indian Embassy in Rome has taken it up with the Italian Foreign Office.