Major fire broke out in a three-storey building in New Delhi, killing two people, said a fire officer on Monday.
The fire erupted at 11.52 p.m. on Sunday in a garment factory located in Shashi Garden of Gandhi Nagar. Ten fire tenders were rushed to site and the fire was doused at 12.45 a.m.
The people, who lost their lives in the fire, are yet to be identified. Officials suspect that the fire was caused by a short circuit.
“Ten fire tenders were pressed into service and the fire was doused 12.45 a.m. on Monday. Two bodies, which are yet to be identified, were moved out from the building. A fire fighter suffered a shoulder injury during the rescue operation,” the officer said.
“It appears the fire broke out due to a short circuit on the ground floor and spread to the first and second floors. The residents were sleeping on the third floor at the time of the incident. Some family members were rescued with the help of the locals and fire fighters,” he added.
The owner of the building lived on the third floor, while the first and the second floors were mostly used for tailoring. Labourers were working late in the night when incident occurred.