Three soldiers were injured when terrorists attacked an army convoy in the Bandipora district as the first death anniversary of the Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was observed on Saturday.

Reports said that terrorists targeted the army convoy in the Hajin area of Bandipora.

A number of youth defied the curfew in Tral, the native town of Burhan, Anantnag, Shopian and Sopore and clashed with the security forces who did not allow them to march to the grave of Burhan to offer tributes to him. The police fired teargas shells to disperse the mobs.

Strict curfew was imposed in most towns of the valley and army and para-military forces deployed in strength to thwart any mischief.

The Amarnath pilgrimage was suspended for the day as a precautionary measure and no batch of pilgrims was allowed to proceed to Kashmir from Jammu.

The separatists, Syed Alishah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik, had issued a week-long protest calendar and asked the youth to march to the grave of Burhan in Tral to offer prayers. The Pakistan based global terrorist Syed Salahuddin had also issued a similar diktat. However, the security forces sealed the graveyard in Tral and also all approach roads.

Some youth came out on the street in Anantnag and clashed with the security forces.

Reports said that strict curfew was being maintained in Srinagar, Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian, Kulgam and other districts of the valley to ward out any untoward incident.

Burhan was killed in an encounter with security forces on July 8 last year and his killing triggered nearly five month long violence that claimed the life of 80 persons in Kashmir.

All roads leading to Tral were sealed and heavy deployment of security forces made there.

Burhan’s father, Muzaffar Wani, who is a school teacher, had yesterday urged the people to remain peaceful on his son’s death anniversary.

The streets in Srinagar wore a deserted look as all business establishments remained closed in response to the shutdown call of separatists.