Stocks fell for the fifth session in a row on Tuesday as investors and traders remained on the sidelines during the holiday week. Traded volume was lower than weekly averages as trends were flat in overseas markets as well. Orders originating from overseas markets generally dry up in the last fortnight of the year as traders take time off.
Here are the major events of today's trade:
* The Nifty dropped 22 points to end at 8,082 points, its fifth day of fall. The index has shed 100 points in the past five sessions, pointing to little or no interest in the market.
* TCS, Ambuja Cement, UltraTech Cement, ACC and Zee Entertainment rise between 1.6-2.2 percent and were among 20 stocks that advanced on the Nifty.
* Idea Cellular, Aurobindo Pharma, Bosch, Yes Bank and State Bank fell between 2.4-3.9 percent and were among 31 shares that dropped on the index.
* The Sensex lost 67 points to end the session at 26,307 points. ICICI Bank and Bajaj Auto were the top losers on the index.
* Bharat Financial, Infosys and Aurobindo Pharma were the top traded stocks by volume.
* Broader indices slipped in trade. The Nifty 100, 200 and 500 benchmarks dropped 0.5% each.
* The Nifty IT, FMCG and Media indices rose 0.4-1.0 percent.
* Futures of PFC, NIIT Tech, Dabur, DLF and India Cement showed smart gains.
* Bears remained in command in the derivatives market where 142 futures fell versus 35 that rose.
* The mood was even more downbeat in the broader market where 1107 shares slipped compared with just 372 that rose.