A 15-year-old boy of Dum Dum died of dengue on Thursday, raising the toll to nine in the state. The total number of people who have been affected by dengue since January is at least 1117, as per information provided by the health department.
The boy named Gourav Saha was admitted in the ID hospital last Sunday in Beliaghata area. In the wake of dengue outbreak in the city,the Kolkata Municipal Corporation (KMC) visited certain academic institutions of the city and found mosquito larvae in one of them.
A 30-member team headed by Atin Ghosh, MMIChealth, visited two colleges Bethune College and Scottish Church College.
The KMC officials found denguecausing mosquito larvae in the campus of Bethune school and college. “We have found denguecausing mosquito larvae in many areas in Bethune school, and have warned the school authorities about the danger of vector-borne diseases,” said Ghosh.
He further said that since there is a dearth of cleaning staff in the school,KMC would send a team along with a sweeper once a week to clean the school campus. The team found that these dangerous larvae have been breeding inside thrown away ice-cream cups, plastic cups and even inside holes in the branches of the trees in the compound where rain water had collected. According to the teacherin-charge of the school, Saswati Adhikary,the school has only one sweeper.
Ghosh said that there is not much awareness about the vector-borne diseases like dengue and chikanguniya in the city&’s academic institutions. However, after visiting Scottish Church College, he was all praises about the institution.
“This school has abided by all the guidelines given by KMC, and should be considered as a model school in preventing vector-borne diseases and generating awareness among the students” said Ghosh.
In an emergency meeting held at the Swasthya Bhawan on Thursday, the department decided to instruct all the private nursing homes and private diagnostic centres to submit their respective reports on dengue to the health department on a daily basis.
Meanwhile, a day after reports were received about water accumulating in the premises of the underconstruction auditorium adjacent to the state secretariat, Nabanna, a cleanliness drive was initiated by the Howrah Municipal Corporation.
Chief minister Mamata Banerjee who is presently in Birbhum inquired into the matter over the phone. Soon after this, officials of Nabanna informed the Howrah Municipal Corporation about the problem. HMC cleaned the area this morning and sprayed mosquito repellent. Later in the day, chief secretary Malay De held an emergency meeting with a few high officials to review the measures that are been taken to combat dengue across the state.