The UN Security Council on Wednesday warned that it will impose new sanctions against North Korea after it carried out hydrogen bomb test with the world body strongly condemning Pyongyang’s action as a "clear threat" to international peace and security.
The 15-nation Security Council, including China, held urgent consultations here to address the "serious" situation arising from the nuclear test conducted by North Korea.
The Council members had previously said that they will take "further significant measures" against North Korea if it conducted another nuclear and vowed to take additional measures.
"In line with this commitment and the gravity of this violation, the members of the Security Council will begin to work immediately on such measures in a new Security Council resolution.
"The members of the Security Council strongly condemned this test, which is a clear violation of Security Council resolutions…and of the non-proliferation regime, and therefore a clear threat to international peace and security continues to exist," it said.
Earlier, UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon denounced North Korea’s nuclear test as "deeply troubling" and "profoundly destabilising" for regional security as he called on Pyongyang to halt its nuclear programmes.
"The underground nuclear test is deeply troubling and once again violates numerous Security Council resolutions despite the united call by the international community to cease such activities," Ban said.
The UN Chief demanded that North Korea cease any further nuclear activities and meet its obligations for verifiable denuclearisation.
Heads of other international nuclear bodies also voice concern over reports of North Korea carrying out the hydrogen bomb test, saying it violates UNSC resolutions and is troubling for the region.