As bright and sunny June ends, Monsoon brings with it cooler and fun days. But with the rains that may pour heavy on some days, dressing up right can become quite tacky and there are just too many things to consider ranging from the type of material to wear to ways of staying dry without compromising on your style. However, what seem difficult and a problem may not be quite so, as Sheena Agarwaal, director Urbanista Image Consulting LLP, shares some of easy do&’s and don’t&’s on how to look your best during this monsoon season.
1. White is a complete no-no during monsoon. A white raincoat or windcheater, no matter how functional it is, would be more susceptible to attract stains.
2. Fluorescent or neon colours are very much in fashion. They make you look brighter during dull cloudy days.
3. Some other delightful colours to try during the monsoon days include yellow, pink, fuchsia and sky blue.
4. Do not wear wet shoes continuously. They would not only make you look shabby, but it could also cause cold and you may or fall ill.
If you are fashion conscious, you can even consider carrying a pair of nice shoes in your bag to wear it when you step out of the rain. One good idea would be to wear monsoon-friendly crocs that complement with raincoat. Do not forget to keep a plastic bag with you, so that you can shove the wet shoes in it, before stepping into your workplace.
5. Keep denims aside. Denims are quite comfortable as bottom wear. However, wearing them during the monsoon would not be a good idea, as when wet they usually take a long time to dry. Linen or corduroys could be a good alternative to jeans.
6. If you get drenched, you would not want your clothes to cling to your body. Tight fitting formals in white and lighter shades do exactly that. You can try darker shades and slightly loose dresses. Another good idea would be to wear stylish transparent raincoats. They hardly look like raincoats. The texture and fittings ensure that you look fashionable and stay dry at the same time.
7. Match your umbrellas with your clothing. When shopping for raincoats online, consider picking umbrellas that could be teamed up with those.
8. Make sure that you keep your raincoats properly in your workplace. If the material gets a little wrinkly, it might add a messy look. So, hang it in or let it dry on your seat shoulders. If your office has a cloakroom, you can hang the dress there.
So, just gear up and step out in the rain in comfort and style.