statesman news service
Ahmedabad, 6 December
Gujarat High Court on Friday admitted a Public Interest Litigation (PIL) challenging the two-member commission appointed by the State Government to probe into the incident of snooping on a woman architect allegedly at the behest of the then Minister of State for Home Amit Shah who was acting on orders from his ‘Saheb’.
The PIL not only challenges the constitution of the Commission headed by retired Justice Sugnyaben Bhatt as the incident doesn’t fall in the category of public importance, but also demanded a CBI investigation into the whole episode.
Senior advocate Girish Das, who filed the PIL, said that the two-member probe panel has been asked to investigate the single incident of surveillance of the woman architect. But, he argued, Section 3 of the Commission of Inquiries Act, 1952, does not allow any probe pertaining to any single individual.
Instead, the PIL said, a CBI probe should be started into the incidents illegal tapping of phones of 93,000 people in Gujarat.
The PIL, to be heard by a division Bench comprising Chief Justice Mr Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Mr Justice J B Pardiwala next week, said phones of as many as 93,000 people in Gujarat are being tapped for the last six months.
Late Director General of Police Amitabh Pathak, who died recently during a holiday in Thailand, had revealed earlier this year that so many phones in the state are being illegally tapped by junior police officers without his consent.
Rights activists and Opposition Congress have already branded the government appointed panel as ‘save Modi commission’ because one of its terms of reference is to find out whether the sting operation by the two web portals was a ‘political conspiracy’.