One Indian was killed and his three compatriots were injured when stray bullets hit them in Awamia in Saudi Arabia earlier this week, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj said on Friday night.
The minister, who had earlier in the day sought a report from Indian Mission in Riyadh, tweeted: "I have received the report from @IndianEmbRiyadh. During shootout in a security operation on 24 Feb 2016 in Awamia, Saudi Arabia, stray bullets hit four Indians. Unfortunately, we lost Mohammad Avesh Khan of Bahraich (in) UP. One Indian is being treated in local hospital."
"The mission is in touch with the family. I have asked them to expedite matters and send his mortal remains at the earliest," she said.
Earlier in the day, she tweeted, "I have asked for a report from our Embassy in Saudi Arabia. We will attend to this immediately."
Her response came following a tweet by one Sayed Ahtisham Rizvi who said an Indian boy from Bahraich in Uttar Pradesh died of bullet injuries in Damam in Saudi Arabia. Rizvi had sought Swaraj’s help in the case.