The 64th National Film Award was announced in the national capital on Friday. Bollywood actor Akshay Kumar bagged the Best Actor award for his performance in Rustom, while the movie Pink won the Best Film on social issue.
The film Rustom is based on the Commander KM Nanavati case. The film earned a lot of praise for a distinct portrayal of a character "caught in personal and social turmoil".
The National Film Awards is the most prestigious film award in India. Owing to the national scale of the National Film Awards, it is considered the Indian equivalent of the American Academy Awards. This year the award ceremony was held at the National Media Center in New Delhi on April 7.
Here is the list of winners:-
• Best Debut Film of a Director - Deep Chaudari (Alifa)
• Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment - Sathamanam Bhavathi
• Best stunt choreoraphy - Peter Hein (Pulimurugan)
• Best Children's Film - Dhanak (Hindi)
• Best Film on social issue - Pink
• Best Direction - Rajesh (Ventilator)
• Best Actor - Akhay Kumar (Rustom)
• Best Actress - Surabhi Lakshmi (Minnaminungu)
• Best Supporting Actress - Zaira Wasim (Dangal)
• Best Child Artist - Adhish Praveen (Kunju Daivam), Saj (Noor Islam), Manohara (Railway Children)
• Best Male Playback Singer - Sundara Iyer (Joker)
• Best Female Playback Singer - Thume jaake
• Best Screenplay (original) - Syam Pushkaran (Maheshinte Prathikaram)
• Best Screenplay (adapted) - Sanjay Krishnaji Patel (Dashakriya)
• Best Editing - Rameshwar (Ventilator)
• Sound designer - Jayadevan (Kaadu Pookunna Neram)
• Best production design - 24
• Best Costume Designer - Sachin (Marathi film)
• Best Environmental film including agriculture - The Tiger who crossed the line
• Best Make-up Artist - MK Ramakrishna
• Best Music Direction - Babu Padmanabha (Kannada _ ALama)
• Special Mention - Kadvi Hawa
• Mukthi bhava (Hindi)
• Majirathi Keki (Assamese)
• Neerja - Sonam Kapoor
• Special Jury award for Mohanlal for Pulimurugan, Janatha Garage and Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol
Filmmaker Priyadarshan was the chairperson of the jury in feature films category, while nationally acclaimed cinematographer and writer Raju Misra was the chairperson in the non-feature category.